The Mecum Seattle 2015 auction held at the CenturyLink Field Event Center this past weekend achieved $9,517,676 in total sales with all five cars in the headlining John Wickey Collection hammering sold for $630,000 overall.
The auction’s top seller was a 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T SE
(Lot S76.1) that brought a high bid of $185,000. A true R-Code Challenger with matching-numbers four-speed transmission, the car had undergone a comprehensive restoration in 2014 and presented beautifully in Plum Crazy paint retaining most of its original sheet metal and the original fender tag. The second highest seller of the auction was a 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster (Lot S189) that gaveled at $170,000.
The highly anticipated cars from the John Wickey Collection crossed the block in front of a standing-room-only crowd ready to battle it out for a chance to take home one of Wickey’s prime examples of American muscle. The 1968 Ford Shelby GT500KR Fastback (Lot S95) sporting just 12,160 original miles and with 10 MCA Thoroughbred Gold Awards under its belt demanded $165,000. His 1969 Chevrolet COPO Camaro (Lot S94) brought $155,000, and his 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T (Lot S96) exchanged hands for $150,000 at the hammer. Rounding out the collection, the unrestored V-Code 1970 Challenger R/T and 1968 Dodge Dart Resto Mod sold for $90,000 and $70,000, respectively.
“We take great pride in our ability to market collections in conjunction with our consignment auctions and consistently deliver with results,” says Consignment Director Frank Mecum. “It was a pleasure to work with John Wickey throughout the process and end up with a sold sticker on every car.”
The complete top 10 sales at the Mecum Seattle auction include (all individual sales reflect hammer prices):
- 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T SE (Lot S76.1) at $185,000
- 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster (Lot S189) at $170,000
- 1968 Ford Shelby GT500KR Fastback (Lot S95) at $165,000
- 2002 BMW Z8 Convertible (Lot S178.1) at $165,000
- 1969 Chevrolet COPO Camaro (Lot S94) at $155,000
- 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T (Lot S96) at $150,000
- 1967 Shelby GT500 Fastback (Lot S117.1) at $142,500
- 1956 Mercedes-Benz 190SL Roadster (Lot S118) at $140,000
- 1992 Porsche 964 Turbo S2 (Lot S138) at $130,000
- 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Hardtop (Lot S106) at $120,000